Tooth loss commonly occurs because of aging, gum disease, infection, injury or decay. Do you find yourself hiding your smile because you’re missing one or several teeth? You might also be having trouble speaking and chewing properly. You don’t have to live this way. Dentures fill in the gaps and improve your oral health, and you can get them at your local dentist.
Dentures replace missing teeth in your entire mouth or specific sections. Aside from the obvious benefit of having a smile with no gaps, this tooth replacement solution offers several other advantages, including the following:
• Prevent teeth from shifting – When you have gaps in your mouth, your remaining teeth will shift over time to fill the spaces. Tooth replacements allow you to maintain your natural alignment and bite.
• Allow you to eat normally – With the right type, you’ll be able to eat all of your favorite foods without restriction.
• Support facial muscles – If you are missing most of your teeth, your jaw will rest in an atypical position. This reduces facial muscle tone and creates a hollow look. Artificial teeth support your jaw’s natural resting position and facial structure.
• Prevent bone loss – Implant-supported dentures stimulate the jawbone, preventing the bone loss that coincides with missing teeth.
• Improve your confidence – Your self-esteem may suffer if you’re missing teeth. Replacing them enhances your overall appearance, which can improve your self-assurance.
At Smiles of West Point, we customize dentures to your specifications. We use different types to support your particular needs.
If you still have some teeth and they’re healthy, you can opt for partials. These include artificial teeth, which are spaced to fit in the gaps in your mouth. Metal clasps attach to your existing teeth to hold the tooth replacements in place.
Partials come in a no-metal version. These are held together with a thermoplastic material, which is almost invisible. They’re less noticeable than partials with a metal clasp. In addition, flex no-metal partials are more comfortable because they adapt to the shape of your mouth more effectively.
These artificial teeth connect to anchors that are surgically implanted in your gums. You can use these to replace a few or several missing teeth. The method that we use will depend on the condition of your teeth, gums and bones as well as the location of your tooth loss.
When you opt for implants, you need to heal before getting a permanent replacement. Immediate tooth replacements are a temporary option that is used during your recovery time so that you can continue to eat and talk normally.
We’ve all seen the cliché of someone’s artificial teeth falling out unexpectedly while they’re talking or chewing. With today’s technology, you don’t have to worry about that happening. At Smiles of West Point, we can stabilize the tooth replacements with implants. This prevents them from shifting and eliminates the need for messy dental adhesives.
The process requires a few visits over the course of a few weeks or months. If we remove teeth or install implants, you’ll have to wait for your surgery to heal. More intensive procedures take longer to complete.
The team at our dentist office, Smiles of West point, will make every appointment comfortable and peaceful. We’ll ensure that you have full function of your teeth in between visits so that you’re not inconvenienced. We will continue to provide follow-up care after you walk out with a fresh take on your smile. Contact Smiles of West Point to schedule a consultation today.